MEMOIR APPLICATIONWe are looking for serious, reliable, and disciplined creative non-fiction writers with a body of work. We are seeking writers with a firm writing foundation, versed in workshop dynamics, and able to give constructive feedback.
Please do not submit an application if you are not serious about improving your writing, and unable to commit the time to a writing workshop. Please check your availability prior to submitting an application.
If interested in applying for membership, please read the info below prior to contacting us.
The two-part application consists of a creative nonfiction writing sample (10-page maximum) which represents your best work in our group's format (Courier New, 12pt, double-spaced, 1" margins on all four sides, continuous line numbers, headers with page name/title/page number). To see what this looks like, click here.
Interested memoirists biographers must have completed at least (1) full unpublished manuscript, and essayists must have completed at least (3) unpublished personal essays or feature articles to apply to the workshop.
The second component are answers to the following short essay questions:
1. Who are you? Please provide a personal and/or professional biography, including age, and tell us about your creative writing background.
2. What are your professional goals as a writer?
3. Have you been a member of a writing group before? If so, list elements that worked and which areas that could have been improved? Click here to take our optional survey.
4. What are your realistic expectations in applying to a writers' workshop?
5. How would you handle a harsh critique?
6. Does your current schedule include time to commit to a weekly workshop for at least twelve weeks?
7. List several writers that you admire and whose work has been important to you as a reader and your growth as a writer.
We appreciate your interest and application. Potential membership happens in three stages: application/writing sample, two-way personal interview with the moderator, and an audit session with current workshop members. We apologize in advance for not being able to respond to all applicants.
*Morningside Writers Workshops are $300 per twelve-week session. Our next session is January 10th - March 28th, 2018 (application deadline is midnight on 12/20/17). We also use a non-disclosure agreement and membership bylaws.
Workshops for Publishing Success! ™