FICTION APPLICATIONWe are looking for serious, reliable, and disciplined short story or novel writers with a body of work. We are seeking writers with a firm foundation of The Elements of Fiction Writing, versed in workshop dynamics, and able to give and receive constructive feedback.
Please do not submit an application if you are not serious about improving your writing and unable to commit the time to a writing workshop. Please check your availability prior to submitting an application. If interested in applying for membership, please read the following information before contacting us. The two-part application consists of a fiction writing sample (10-page maximum) in our group's format (Courier New, 12pt, double-spaced, 1" margins on all four sides, continuous line numbers, headers with page name/title/page number). (To see what this looks like, click here.)
Interested novelists must have completed at least (1) unpublished novel manuscript and at least (3) unpublished short stories in order to apply to either of the available workshops.
The second component are answers to the following short essay questions:
1. Who are you? Please provide a personal and/or professional biography, including age, and tell us about your educational background.
2. What are your personal and professional goals as a writer?
3. Have you been a member of a writing group before? If so, list elements that worked and which areas that could have been improved? Click here to take our optional survey.
4. What are your realistic expectations in applying to a writers' workshop?
5. How would you handle a harsh critique?
6. Does your current schedule include time to commit to a weekly workshop for a period of at least twelve weeks?
7. List several writers that you admire and whose work has been important to you as a reader and your growth as a writer.
We appreciate your interest and application. Potential membership happens in three stages: application/writing sample, two-way personal interview with moderator, and an audit session with current workshop members. We apologize in advance for not being able to respond to all applicants.
*Morningside Writers Workshops are $300 per twelve-week session. Our next session is February 9th- April 27th, 2017 (application deadline is midnight on 01/25/17). We also use a non-disclosure agreement and membership bylaws.
Workshops for Publishing Success!